Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Bookmark and Share

UBC: More light painting...


Through the generosity of a contact I have at the UBC Botanical Gardens, I was able to get into the gardens after hours one evening last week to do some light painting. I had plans to do an elaborate, wide area, wide angle paint of the upper gardens, the eastern most section that is right next to Thunderbird Stadium. Alas, there was a game or practice on, and all the stadium lights were lit, flooding that area with a bright orange glow. To do the elaborate light paint I had envisioned, it would have probably taken me about 5-7 minutes, maybe longer, and that would have meant a bulb exposure equally long. With the stadium lit, even a one minute long time exposure probably would have been totally washed out.

In the end, I made do with painting smaller areas in the forested portion of the gardens, the west side area. Here I also did a few experiments with using colour filters on my light to highlight certain things. Not all that happy with some of my results and I need more practice I think! I am getting a handle on what I like and what I don't like as much, so if the opportunity arises again to paint the gardens, hopefully I will do better. My favourite of the night might be the kiwi vine shot at the top of this post. Following are a few more shots that I liked from that evening...






A week or so prior to the evening at the Botanical Gardens, I was at the Museum of Anthropology again briefly, although I didn't do much due to an overcast and sickly orange sky. Here was one shot I did with my new, narrow beam Predator Pro flashlight, where I was able to concentrate the light to specific areas...


Lastly, I did another set of beam-shots, comparing my brightest flashlights. You can see how tightly focused the Predator Pro really is on the following animated GIF. The Wizard Pro is a very wide beam headlamp with almost no focus to its beam, so despite its formidable 1000 lumen output, it doesn't appear all that bright here. However keep in mind it is lighting up a very wide area and I was a fair distance from the totem. Also, in person it does seem a whole lot brighter than here...

0 comments:

Post a Comment